Monday, September 3, 2012

The Food - August 29 - September 3, 2012

Friday p.m.:  We knew it was going to be rainy and a little cooler on our first night at camp, so I made a small batch of my basic chili for supper.  We like our chili with corn chips, sour cream and cheese.  We have almost everything we need in the camper -- except for bowls, I discovered.  We ended up eating layered chili "sundaes" from coffee mugs, with some fresh grapes on the side.


Saturday a.m.:  I know that "Toad in the Hole" is the name for an entirely different dish in other parts of the world, but to us, it means a slice of bread with a round piece cut out so an egg can be cooked in its place.  I recently read about a twist on this breakfast novelty -- after the egg has set a little and the whole thing has been flipped, it gets sprinkled with cheddar cheese and topped with another piece of buttered bread.  Once the cheese starts to melt, the entire sandwich gets flipped again so that the top piece of bread browns.  Surprise!  It's a Grilled Cheese Toad in the Hole, or a Cheesy Grilled Toad or something like that.  We ate chunky hash browns and fresh grapes with it.


Improvising a cookie cutter with a travel mug lid.


Saturday noon:  After having an ice cream snack in town, we ended up not eating lunch until around 3:00, and had grilled hot dogs, chips and applesauce for our meal.  We also ended up spoiling our appetite for supper.

Kat learning the fine art of hotdoggery.


Saturday p.m.:  Because none of us was very hungry, we ended up skipping supper.  We had quick ham sandwich just before bedtime.

Sunday a.m.:  I had many good intentions to make this lovely braided breakfast sandwich with crescent rolls, eggs, ham and other goodies, but in the end, I decided why go to all the trouble when I could just cook it up this way:


It was still very good, just not as beautiful.

Sunday noon:  Ah, yes.  We learned our lesson on Saturday and decided to not have lunch rather than spoil our dinner again.  Kat had a small snack to keep her going, but Shane and I skipped lunch altogether.

Sunday p.m.:   Grilled steaks, baked potatoes with toppings, corn on the cob and home-canned peaches.  It had been a while since we'd had some really delicious steaks; these KC Strips were worth the wait.



Monday a.m.:  We usually keep our breakfasts/brunches light on our last day at camp.  This time ham sandwiches were the breakfast of choice, although I found I was perfectly content with just coffee and a piece of toast.

Iced tea was my drink of choice for most of this trip. Beer or other alcoholic drinks just weren't doing much for me this time out.  However, I do want to tell you about a beer we found recently called Redbridge, and is a gluten-free sorghum beer.  It's made by Anheuser-Busch and contains no wheat or barley.  Shane and I both like it.  Shane normally does drink Anheuser-Busch products, but I usually don't care for them much.  I think this one is very good.

Parked at Wallace State Park
Cameron, MO
August 31 - September 3, 2012