Monday, October 1, 2012

The Food - September 28 through 30

I've mentioned before that when Shane and I have a chance to get away without Kat, we often make sure our menu includes flavors we enjoy, but that Kat doesn't.  This was one of those weekends.

I had planned a simple supper for us on Friday night, but we gave in to our hunger on the way and stopped for some Mexican food.  The food wasn't very authentic, but we were hungry, the burritos were huge, and it tasted good all the same.


On Saturday morning, I made these bacon and egg enchiladas that were more authentic-tasting, I think, than the food from the restaurant the night before.  I used this recipe, cutting the amounts in half and making the change from flour tortillas to corn tortillas.  I also made my own enchilada sauce for these.  They fell apart when I tried to take them from the pan, but they tasted great.


We intentionally skipped lunch, but when we came back from exploring the area, I made this Guacamole Bruschetta appetizer.  My inspiration was this recipe, but with a few changes, such as brushing the bread with garlic butter I'd made previously, and using pre-made refrigerated guacamole instead of fresh avocado.  I added both basil and cilantro to the tomato mixture.  This was a BIG hit that I'll be making again.


While we snacked on the bruschetta, I put this Potato, Leek and Feta Tart in the oven.  We devoured the entire pie, and while I would make it again, I think I would omit the dill and use thyme or savory instead.

Sunday morning we tried Oatmeal in a Jar.  I made the jars up ahead of time, and it was a simple and easy way to enjoy breakfast.  Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of ours.


And finally, this:

A very large tenderloin from 254 Cafe, and a "treat" we discovered the first time we camped on Pomme de Terre years ago.  To give you an idea how big this tenderloin is, the bun in the picture is a standard burger bun, and it's served on a tray instead of a plate.  I cut mine into four pieces, ate one piece on the bun, and saved the other three pieces for our supper after we got home.  Shane ate ALL of his (and a bag of chips).  Should we visit again soon, we'll probably see his picture on their "Wall of Fame". 

I'm not sure whether to be proud or embarrassed...

_________

Parked at Damsite Campground, Pomme de Terre Lake
near Hermitage, MO
September 28-30, 2012